Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Justa!





“Justa, Justa. Come quickly.”

I was working quietly in my new home office here in Portland this morning when Bishop Ken interrupted, as he has a habit of doing, by calling to me imperiously from the other world. [For those of you who missed last week's post, Bishop Thomas Ken was active in Britain in the 17th century; he has begun to visit me, Deacon Ken, from the beyond, attracted, I believe, by the similarity of our names. A friend wondered if the bishop speaks to me from the radiator. He does not. He speaks to me as all bishops do, out of nowhere and in a loud voice.]

“I’ve told you, my name is Ken,” I said.

“No, no,” he chortled. “Justa. As in, Justa Deacon.” He laughed uproariously. “S'blood, I crack me up.”

“What do you want? I’m busy.”

“Did I ever tell you about how I refused to allow the King to park his trollop, Nell Gwyn, in my residence? You see, I was Royal Chaplain to King Charles and he thought maybe he could hide his mistress in my apartments and escape notice. Well, I can tell you I wasted no time in sending His Royal Highness a pretty sharp rebuke.”

“I’ve read about it. Very courageous of you.”

“But did you hear what I wrote? ‘The Royal Chaplain shall not double as the Royal Pimp.’ Pretty good, eh what? Anyway, that is how I came to be appointed Bishop of Bath and Wells. The King reportedly declared—I have this on the highest authority—‘None shall have this bishopric save that little man who refused lodging to poor Nellie!’ And when he died, the King that is, it was I he summoned to be with him at the end. Not that I’m actually such a little man, mind you.”

“That’s great,” I said, putting a Charlie Parker disc on the Bose. “But no one cares about King Charles and his mistress anymore. The church has more important matters to attend to than who’s sleeping with whom.”

“Ah,” Bishop Ken sighed. “I could have been executed for my stance. For what are your bishops prepared to die?”

“Church property and pensions.”

There was a knowing silence from the other world.

“Oh, dear, Justa. I’ve run out of tobacco. Be a good lad, will you, and fetch some for me.”

I turned up the volume on “Salt Peanuts.”






1 comment:

MB said...

Teach me to live that I may dread The grace as little as my bed.